Portage Glacier Cruise & Tour with Transportation (Roundtrip Anchorage)Back to Excursions
The Portage Glacier Cruise & Tour combines the Portage Glacier Cruise, a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, and roundtrip transportation to/from downtown Anchorage. The tour operates daily from May 15 – September 19, 2024, departing at 1:30 pm from the Westmark Anchorage Hotel.
Venture on a spectacular cruise across Portage Lake, home to Portage Glacier, on this half-day tour. Travel south from Anchorage along the scenic Seward Highway. Next, board the mv Ptarmigan, the only boat operating on Portage Lake, for an unforgettable one-hour cruise across an iceberg-dotted landscape. Standing just 300 yards from a relic of the Ice Age, you’ll watch for fractures of ice break off the glacier and crash into the water below. Portage Glacier is Alaska’s second most visited attraction and once you see the pristine views in person, you’ll understand why. On the way back to Anchorage, stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center where you’ll tour this great wildlife sanctuary.
mv Ptarmigan Highlights
- The only boat operating on Portage Lake
- Onboard Narration
- Fully enclosed, heated cabin
- Expansive windows for enhanced viewing
- Topside view-deck offers a great vantage point for watching the glacier “calve,” and for visitors to enjoy the fresh air
- Holds up to 144 passengers
- 80-foot vessel was built on site at Portage Lake to U.S. Coast Guard specifications
- 6.5-foot draft for minimal environmental impact
- Sound system cannot be heard from the shore, ensuring preservation of this naturally peaceful setting for wildlife and other visitors
- Hull designed for safety in ice-filled waters
- Operates on National Forest Service lands of the Chugach National Forest and is under a special use permit from the USDA Forest Service
Departure Location: This tour departs from the Westmark Anchorage Hotel, located at 720 W. 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to departure time.
Please note: Tour operation is subject to a minimum number of guests and weather conditions. Visit our Facebook page for real time updates on weather conditions and operation. Child price applies to age 12 and under.
Safety is our top priority
Please be assured that we have made the necessary preparations to sail in a manner that complies with local and state guidance in order for guests to safely experience the beauty of Portage Glacier. Our operational and cleaning procedures have been expanded with extra care and attention focused on the well-being of our guests and our employees.