Portage Glacier Cruise (Self-Drive)Back to Excursions
Get up close to Portage Glacier aboard the mv Ptarmigan on a one-hour cruise. This tour is the perfect option for vacationers and visiting friends & family since it is only a one hour drive from Anchorage. Five departure times are available every day, May 15 through September 19, 2024.
Click on the departure time below to reserve your tour
Online reservations must be made at least 5 days in advance. For same day ticket sales, please purchase them on site at the Portage Glacier Cafe (401 Portage Lake Loop, Girdwood, AK 99587).
mv Ptarmigan Highlights
- The only boat operating on Portage Lake
- Onboard Narration
- Fully enclosed, heated cabin
- Expansive windows for enhanced viewing
- Topside view-deck offers a great vantage point for watching the glacier “calve,” and for visitors to enjoy the fresh air
- Holds up to 144 passengers
- 80-foot vessel was built on site at Portage Lake to U.S. Coast Guard specifications
- 6.5-foot draft for minimal environmental impact
- Sound system cannot be heard from the shore, ensuring preservation of this naturally peaceful setting for wildlife and other visitors
- Hull designed for safety in ice-filled waters
- Operates on National Forest Service lands of the Chugach National Forest and is under a special use permit from the USDA Forest Service
If you’re driving to Portage Glacier
- Take the Seward Highway south from Anchorage
- Take a left on Portage Glacier Road (milepost 78.9) approximately 48 miles out of Anchorage
- Travel 5 miles to fork in road; take the right-hand fork and travel a 1/2 mile. Turn left at the Portage Glacier Café (401 Portage Lake Loop)
- Arrive at 1500 Byron Glacier Road, Girdwood, AK 99587
Please note: Cruise operation is subject to weather conditions. Visit our Facebook page for real time updates on weather conditions and operation. Child price applies to age 12 and under.
Safety is our top priority
Please be assured that we have made the necessary preparations to sail in a manner that complies with local and state guidance in order for guests to safely experience the beauty of Portage Glacier. Our operational and cleaning procedures have been expanded with extra care and attention focused on the well-being of our guests and our employees.